Thursday 21 March 2013

Oh Seamus....

It is funny that yesterday I was talking about Yeats and how he does not have the need to use fancy words to express a thought in an interesting way because our reading assignment for this week was poetry by Seamus Heaney. Taking sides with Yeats when he wrote about the 'stitching and unstitching' of a poem where it should be hard when the poet writes it but when someone reads it it should be just a moments thought, in order to be considered good poetry in his opinion of course, well.....Seamus kinda dropped the ball on that one. He clearly put a lot of thought into his words but when I read them, it does not matter if I read sideways, backwards, from start to end, middle to edges or upside down, it takes me a while to get it...after talking about it with Dr. Reed, my professor, he cleared things out on how Seamus builds on one topic, you just have to find that one topic to begin with. I can understand how he is a celebrated poet, but he got me lost for a while in terms of poetry again. Find that topic and ou shall be set free!

rchiuz

No comments:

Post a Comment